Both the SpyderCUBE and the SpyderCHECKR/SpyderCHECKR24 are used to adjust the color of your digital files but they can provide you with much different information. While the SpyderCUBE is used for color temperature and contrast balance, the SpyderCHECKR/SpyderCHECKR24 is used for color balance.
The SpyderCUBE is unique, since it differs from a conventional grey card elementally and is equipped with an additional light trap and a chrome ball. The definition of the contrast range can be carried out precisely, as is not possible with a pure reflection chart. The SpyderCUBE captures the color temperature and light source data for accurate color matching.
The features in detail:
- two neutral 18% grey surfaces
- two white surfaces
- one black surface
- a light trap (black hole)
- a chrome ball
- Information about the light setting
The light trap consists of a hole inside the cube. Penetrating light is „swallowed“. Nearly no light is emitted, resulting in a very high black level. Using the black surface, structures can be controlled in the shade. With the chrome ball in turn, a spot light can be captured in the scene due to its excellent reflection behavior. The white areas, on the other hand, serve to determine the white value where structures are still to be seen.
When the camera automatic reaches its limit. If you’re looking to accurately reproduce color, the capabilities of the SpyderCHECKR are second to none. A precise white balance in the RAW conversion is only possible with a gray card, and in almost every monochrome scene, such as a sunset, each camera automatic white balance system is pushed to its limits. Therefore, the only way to ensure the color calibration of a camera is under control, is with a color chart and analysis software, such as the SpyderCHECKR color chart and software. You can then accurately calculate a set of correction values, which can be transferred to the image series in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom or Hasselblad Phocus.
Advantages at a glance:
- Consistent and reproducible color control i.e. in the RAW workflow
- Color-corrected images lead to greater detail
- Color correction is possible in batch mode
- Able to compare several camera systems to each other
- FadeCheckr – have control over the aging process of the color chart
- Replaceable color cards avoid plastic waste and save money
- Rugged, portable case with tripod mount
- Can be combined with the SpyderCUBE
What advantages does the SpyderCHECKR have for my photography?
- Landscape / Journey: More detail and optimal RAW process in batch processing
- Wedding / Event: Matching multiple camera systems
- Fashion: Colors in print correspond to the original colors
- Portrait: Make skin tones look natural
- Architecture: Reproduce exact colors
- Studio / Product: Match product and brand colors
The FadeCheckr – Know exactly when your color targets need to be replaced
SpyderCHECKR ¬– more benefits